Dating sites for toronto ontario

Lawrence Campaign; the original battle site was submerged in 1958 by the construction of the Saint Lawrence Seaway, so the 1895 monument was relocated to its current location in Crysler’s Farm Battlefield Park near Upper Canada Village A railway station representative of the larger stations erected for the newly formed Grand Trunk Railway along the key Toronto to Montreal line during the mid-19th century, it is the oldest continuously operating passenger train station in Canada A noted early Ontario home, representative of the design and construction techniques from the period; portions date to the 1780s when Loyalist Peter Ferguson settled on the site, but the main structure was built in 1805 as a manse for Reverend John Bethune, the first Presbyterian minister in Upper Canada and was later the residence of explorer David Thompson The site of the attack by Canadian rebels and their American supporters in January 1838 during the Upper Canada Rebellion; in response to the raid, the blockhouse was built to complement the reconstructed Fort Malden A community founded by abolitionist Reverend William King, 15 former American slaves, and an association which included James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin, then the Governor General of Canada, to create a haven for fugitive slaves escaping via the Underground Railroad Located within the Bombardier Transportation facility, the historic complex was the main plant of Canada's largest aircraft manufacturer during the Second World War, with 10% of the world's production of the Hurricane built there; representative of the wartime contributions made by women workers and of the country's post-war mass-transit manufacturing industry A stone house believed to be the oldest surviving house in Northwestern Ontario, it was built by Charles Oakes Ermatinger, an active partner of the North West Company, and was used as a temporary headquarters by Garnet Wolseley, 1st Viscount Wolseley during the Red River Expedition The site of the original village of Fairfield, founded in 1792 by Aboriginal refugees and Moravian missionaries who came to Canada from Ohio, fleeing persecution in the United States after refusing to take sides during the American Revolutionary War; the village was destroyed in 1813 by American invaders during the War of 1812, when the inhabitants were accused of sheltering British officers A stone post office with a steep gabled roof and central clock tower; designed by Thomas Fuller, the building has undergone no major exterior alterations, so remains an excellent representative example of early multi-use federal buildings in small communities A stone post office, blending Flemish, Queen Anne and classical elements; a good example of the post offices erected by the Department of Public Works in smaller urban centres during Thomas Fuller's term as Chief Dominion Architect A good representative example of the early stage in drill hall construction in Canada (when rural militia units, rather than the Department of Defence, were responsible for their construction), noted for its classical proportions, the fanlight over the door and the oculus in the gable British fort (initially known as Fort Amherstburg) that served as the principal defence of the western frontier for the period until 1813 (when it was captured and later destroyed by the Americans), and also served as an important fortification during the border raids associated with the Upper Canada Rebellion in 1837-38Built as a counterpoint to an American garrison on Mackinac Island, Fort St.Joseph was the British Empire's most westerly outpost; destroyed by the Americans in 1812 when British forces left to take Fort Michilimackinac; the ruins of the fortifications and the archaeological resources on the site reveal the complex aspects of military, domestic and commercial life (both Aboriginal and European) in a frontier outpost During the War of 1812, American forces crossed the Detroit River and used the house as headquarters for their invasion; when the Americans retreated one month later, the Bâby House was occupied by British forces under Major-General Isaac Brock, who built an artillery battery on the property and used it to open fire on Fort Detroit An excellent intact example of the type of mansion erected by wealthy Canadians in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, with the general layout of the site remaining as it was originally laid out by the Olmsted Brothers House associated with two of the most prominent forest industry families in the Ottawa Valley, the Mc Lachlins and the Gillies; surrounded by one of the few remaining accessible woodlots containing significant stands of old growth Ottawa Valley White Pine House designed by architect Thomas Hanley for J. C Phillips, a wealthy Belleville banker and financier; an excellent representative example of the Second Empire style popular among the upper middle class in late 19th-century Canada The ruins of the residence of Lieutenant Colonel John Macdonell, a pioneer in the settlement of Ontario, first Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada, and a hero of the Battle of Queenston Heights Site at the junction of the Nottawasaga River and Marl Creek, where in 1814 the Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Mc Douall, constructed a flotilla of boats to relieve the British garrison at Fort Michilimackinac and to effect the subsequent capture of Prairie du Chien during the War of 1812A two-storey, limestone building built in the Renaissance Revival style, it is an excellent example of a multi-functional city hall, which contained the market, fire hall, police office and jail, library, a reading room, a large public hall, along with town offices and a council chamber; symbolic of Guelph's mid-19th-century confidence following the arrival of the Grand Trunk Railway in the community The USS Hamilton and USS Scourge were two merchant schooners pressed into service by the Americans in the War of 1812, both of which capsized and sank in a sudden squall; the ships are in remarkable condition at the underwater wreckage site and are rare examples of surviving War of 1812 vessels The first Protestant church in Upper Canada, now the oldest surviving church in Ontario, and one of only two Royal Chapels in Canada; symbolic of the important role played by the Loyalist Mohawks in the development of the province A two-storey fieldstone residence built for Dr.

Since then, the capital of Canada has remained Ottawa.As a major destination for immigrants to Canada, the city grew rapidly through the remainder of the 19th century.The first significant population influx occurred when the Great Irish Famine brought a large number of Irish to the city, some of them transient, and most of them Catholic.Toronto became the capital of the province of Ontario after its official creation in 1867, the seat of government located at the Ontario Legislature located at Queen's Park.Because of its provincial capital status, the city was also the location of Government House, the residence of the viceregal representative of the Crown in right of Ontario.

Search for dating sites for toronto ontario:

dating sites for toronto ontario-30

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

One thought on “dating sites for toronto ontario”